Gather at the Crosses
1,000 crosses will be spread across the city, on each block along Madison & Halsted/Sheridan.
Note: Join people already at a cross, or go to a vacant cross to pray
Spread Across Blocks (where possible)
Spread down the block at arms length. Instructions from Prayer Leaders.
Suggested Action: Post to your social media, inviting others to join in: “Join us in prayer in 10min”, etc. Use #HandsAcrossChicago
Tune In / Live Stream
Suggested Action: Live stream to your personal / church / organization social page, inviting others to join in prayer. Use #HandsAcrossChicago
Pray as One: The Lord's Prayer & United Prayer
We will begin by praying the Lord’s Prayer together, as one. Then, a prepared prayer together, available for view or download:
Schedule & Prayers PDF (English) Descargar Horario y Oraciones PDF (Espanol)
Suggested Action: Bookmark the link in advance, or download / print the PDF
Thank you for participating.
You are welcome to take and keep the wooden crosses.
Calling 40,000 Christians to come together across Chicago in united prayer to see an end to violence, healing of our city and region, and bringing continued community transformation through the love of Jesus.
"Where can I participate?"
1. Anywhere along the routes—Madison & Halsted/Sheridan
Click on sections of the map below to see where section leaders / groups are gathering to pray (this map will be continually updated as the date approaches, and sections will be sub-divided as more leaders / groups commit to blocks).
2. Join others already along the route near you.
Contact the "section anchor" person listed on a given section of the map and say "Hey, we want to join you in prayer on July 14!". Introduce yourself and ask them how you can help rally others to united prayer.
3. Fill in the gaps.
Volunteer to host a section along the routes. To do so, please complete this form:
4. Spread the word!
Invite others to cover Chicago in prayer on July 14! Use the promotional resources below.
"What will we be doing / praying for?"
Pray as One
- The Lord's Prayer
- United Prayer
Pray in Small Groups
Contextualized prayer for your community:
- Repentance and reconciliation within the Church. Pray for John 17 oneness in the Church and the Kingdom and purposes of God made visible.
- Pray for the end of violence, racism, poverty, and injustice in Chicago in every form.
- Pray for our youth/families and their safety this summer.
- Pray for our police officers, fire department, and all working to maintain peace and wellbeing in our neighborhoods.
- Pray for our neighbors who do not have homes, who are in poverty, or who are fighting addictions.
- Pray for our educators and all who are working to teach our children.
- Pray for blocks, block clubs, churches, and community organizations that are fostering relationship and trust in our neighborhoods.
- Pray for community impact during the 40 Days of Jesus Summer: Loving Our Neighbors and Neighborhoods (Now-Aug 26).
- Learn the names of your community stakeholders so that you can pray for / with them specifically. (i.e. local police commander, alderman, principals, pastors, block club leaders, social service care providers, etc.) Invite them to join.
- Provide poster board and write prayers, words of encouragement for your community / city
- Pray on corners where crosses are stationed (Over 500 crosses across the route).
- Prayer walk your section of the route.
- Sing, worship, take communion together.
- Set up a prayer sign / booth and offer prayer to neighbors.
- Give out gospel literature or other resources.
- Invite community members to participate in Jesus Summer / 40 Days activities throughout the summer.
- Welcome / invite other churches and residents to join you along the route.
- Do not block streets
- Do not obstruct or inconvenience others
(click to download)